Bicycle injuries can be extremely severe. Motorists should be wary of cyclists since cyclists have little protection on the road. When you are riding your bike, you should not have to ride terrified of an automobile driver who is not paying attention. A Las Vegas bicycle accident lawyer can help you seek compensation for your bike accident.
In Las Vegas, a lot of people rely on their bicycles to get them from place to place. You may choose to bike to work or school or use biking as a way to stay healthy and relaxed. Tourists in the area often use bikes to explore the city and see popular attractions. Unfortunately, bicycle accidents with motorized vehicles can be fatal, even though many are preventable.
A report from the Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center states that:
- More than 50,000 bicyclists get hurt in motor vehicle accidents yearly
- Only a fraction of cyclists report accidents to the police
- In 2014, over 726 cyclists died in automobile accidents in the United States
- Bicycle accidents make up about 2% of all vehicle-related deaths
If you are involved in a bicycle accident in Las Vegas, you want to seek help from an attorney as soon as possible. Even when they appear straightforward, the legal issues surrounding your case are best handled by an experienced professional. For instance, liability issues can depend on:
- What happened during the accident and who caused it
- The involvement of multiple vehicles
- The participation of third parties, such as the driver’s insurance company, the driver’s employer, or your insurance provider
Every cyclist deserves to feel safe when riding, and other drivers need to understand that. The Accident Attorneys of Southern Nevada have over 25 years of legal experience in Las Vegas. Call us for assistance with a bicycle accident case today. We aggressively fight for our clients, and we don’t get paid unless you do.
What Should You Do If You’re Injured in A Bicycle Accident?
When you get into an accident, your mind may start racing. Something unexpected happened, and it can be hard to keep a clear head in a panic. Suddenly, you have gone from a casual trip to work or the store to dealing with a driver who was not paying attention.
Fortunately, there are important things you should do if you or a loved one gets injured. These are the following steps you need to take after an accident with a motor vehicle:
- Seek medical help. Treat your injuries before you think about anything else, as your well-being is most important. Even if you feel fine, you should have a medical professional make sure of it. Injuries from bicycle accidents can range from surface scratches to deep wounds, broken bones, and head trauma.
- File a police report. You want to have documentation of the accident to use when you make a case later. If you are not injured too severely, take pictures of the scene, your bike, and your injuries. Your lawyer can use these photos as evidence. Try to get the names, numbers, and insurance information from every driver involved. It’s also helpful to get the names and numbers of any witnesses to the accident.
- Speak with a lawyer. Find a Las Vegas bicycle accident law firm as quickly as possible. Nevada State Law has a time limit for filing a personal injury case. Therefore, you want to bring a claim against the responsible party immediately. A lawyer will make sure to prioritize your rights and your recovery.
While car or truck collision accidents are the most common, there are other types of bicycle accidents. For example, a cyclist may:
- Hit a pedestrian
- Have a tire blowout
- Have stuck gears
- Experience brake failure
- Have an unsafe bike helmet
If you are unsure who is at fault in your situation, call the Accident Attorneys of Southern Nevada. We offer a free consultation for your case so we can take it in the right direction. Even if another driver is not at fault, we may still be able to help you recoup some costs of your accident.
Types of Injury
The most frequent types of injuries for cyclists are skin damage, muscle damage, and bone fractures. If the cyclist is not wearing a helmet, they could suffer severe brain or head trauma. The latter type of accident results in the most fatalities.
Brain injuries may not have visible signs. For this reason, you need to seek medical attention after an accident, even if you have no signs of bleeding or physical damage. An undiagnosed brain injury can pose significant health risks. You should not take responsibility for piling medical bills due to someone else’s negligence.
A brain injury may cause damage that is:
In the United States, there are approximately 2.5 million brain injury cases each year. The consequences of these injuries can be short-term, long-term, or permanent. While there is no known cure for a brain injury, there are treatment options to mitigate the damage and improve the victim’s quality of life.
The long term effects of brain injury include:
- Memory loss
- Difficulty speaking and understanding
- Mood swings
- Attention and learning issues
However, rehabilitation programs cost money. You will have unique medical needs, and you do not want to be stuck paying for it all out of pocket. Let our attorneys help you get the dollar amount you need to recover stress-free.
Why You Need a Las Vegas Bicycle Accident Attorney
Your life may change entirely after a bicycle accident. Not only can you suffer personal injuries, but you may also have to pay for damage to your bike or any other property you had on hand. Even if you have insurance, the medical expenses of severe accidents can add up quickly. If you are not at fault for the accident, why should you have to pay for it?
When you first get into a bike accident, you should contact your insurance provider. Your insurance company may cover some of your expenses. However, you may realize that many companies do not want to cover bike accident claims. If they do, they may want you to jump through hoop after hoop to get the money.
The team at Accident Attorneys of Southern Nevada focus on helping accident victims and families get the justice they deserve. We will ensure that you get the maximum compensation possible for your hardship. While you cannot always trust your insurance company to have your back, you can rest assured that we will pick up the slack.
Our dedicated attorneys will:
- Use all of the time and resources necessary to build your case
- Consult experts on property damage when needed
- Analyze the police report for evidence
- Look at witness statements if possible
- Consider which parties are truly liable for the accident
Many times, the other party will try to get you to settle so that they can avoid court. We know when a settlement offer is too low, and we will not let you accept less than you deserve. We believe that no one should be left without financial recovery after a severe injury. Do not hesitate to get an attorney to help you after your bicycle accident.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Nevada State Law protects bicyclists who share the roads with motor vehicles. Motor vehicles must give cyclists at least three feet of clearance when passing. They also have to move away from the right lane when they pass a cyclist. Even with these laws in place, many cycling accidents happen daily.
Sometimes motor vehicle drivers do not see bicyclists, even when the cyclist is following all of the safety rules. The most common bicycle accidents happen when:
- A vehicle hits a bicyclist when making a turn. When a driver and cyclist are sharing the road in the same direction, the driver may try to turn before checking for a cyclist. Cyclists cannot always see the car’s turn signals, nor can they predict the behavior of drivers. If a driver fails to check their surroundings before turning, the law may deem them negligent.
Turning accidents also happen when vehicles and cyclists are traveling in opposite directions. The vehicle driver may fail to see the cyclist, or they may anticipate that the cyclist is not moving as fast as they really are. Then, when the driver turns, the cyclist hits the car because they did not have time to stop. The driver may also be at fault if a cyclist gets severely hurt from swerving to avoid their vehicle.
- A vehicle rear-ends a bicyclist
When a driver is not paying attention to a cyclist’s actions, they may accidentally hit them from behind. A rear-end accident can happen when the bicycle is not moving. It can also occur if the bike is moving slowly in front of a car. Rear-ending occurs even when the cyclist is wearing reflective gear and has all the necessary bike lights.
- A vehicle door hits a cyclist
When a cyclist runs into a vehicle door, you can refer to this accident as “dooring.” The driver may park and open the car door without checking for passing cyclists. The cyclist, unaware, can then run into the door before they have time to avoid it. This accident is common in cities, and it can result in severe injuries.
On the road, motor vehicles must treat bicycles the same as they would any other vehicle. Since bicycles are smaller than cars, cyclists also have a responsibility to practice safety measures. Cyclists must:
- Be vigilant when turning or changing lanes
- Use designated hand signals to warn other vehicles
- Wear reflective gear and have lights on the bicycle
- Wear a helmet at all times
Even though cyclists can take measures to protect themselves, drivers are not free from liability for accidents. A negligent driver should be accountable for their actions. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, let a Las Vegas bicycle accident attorney help you seek financial recovery.
Contact a Las Vegas Bicycle Accidents Lawyer Today
Often, people are afraid to get help for bike accidents. They feel as though they don’t want to make it too big of a deal out of what happened. Or, they don’t want to “punish” the other driver. However, there is nothing wrong with pursuing the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
With a lawyer, you are more likely to get a higher settlement than if you pursued your case alone. This difference even includes lawyer fees. Sometimes, having an attorney can determine whether you get anything for your accident at all. About half of people with personal injury cases do not get any money when they don’t hire an attorney.
A Las Vegas attorney can help you:
- Make sure you are documenting your medical treatment for your insurance company
- Accurately present your information to the insurance company
- Determine the limits of the other party’s insurance policy
- Negotiate on your behalf as hard as possible
- Combat unreasonable settlement offers from the insurance company
Overall, you have a better chance of getting a financial settlement when you hire a lawyer. Once your lawyer determines who is at fault, the compensation you get depends on:
- The extent of your injuries
- Wages lost because of the car accident
- The presence of short-term or long-term disabilities
The Accident Attorneys of Southern Nevada have years of experience serving Las Vegas, Henderson, and Clark County. We will find the perfect attorney for your case when you call (702) 766-4336. Our lawyers will communicate with you every step of the way and are available to you whenever you need it.
We prefer to settle a case when possible. However, if the insurance company refuses to pay fairly, our Las Vegas law firm will take the time to sue. Get one of our no-nonsense lawyers today and a free consultation. We have contingency-based costs, so no win, no fee.